My daughter and I recently went to the bookstore because we wanted to pick out some new books. I saw her looking around longer than usual so I asked what kind of book was she looking for.
She told me books that show her how to be happy and also make her smile.
What kind of books do you like to read?
After we found a few books for her I started looking around for myself. My favorites are usually biographies, motivational books, mysteries and true crimes (unique mix, I know).
I was thinking over what my daughter said about the kind of books she wanted as we walked around. Then I looked up and saw a section in our local bookstore titled, “How To Be Happy“. She laughed as she told me she saw that sign on our way in, but wondered why it wasn’t in the kids section too.
Then what really got me was when she asked, why don’t grown ups already know how to be happy. I explained to her first that there is no limit to how happy a person can be, and then sometimes people need encouragement plus direction with finding ways to be happier, positive and more confident. Books like these can be a big help while making you feel good.
Do you know how to be happy or do some days require more motivation than others?
With all the outside pressures, influences, responsibilities, stresses and more of everyday life, it can often be overwhelmingly hard to stay focused and happy.
I recently talked about people being shamed for doing things that make them happy (read about that here), but maybe if we took some pages from these books we would be inspired to be less negative and more happy.
How To Be Happy Thanks To This Book List:
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life
- Declutter Your Mind: How to Stop Worrying, Relieve Anxiety, and Eliminate Negative Thinking
- How to Stop Feeling Like Sh*t: 14 Habits that Are Holding You Back from Happiness
- Get Your Sh*t Together: How to Stop Worrying About What You Should Do So You Can Finish What You Need to Do and Start Doing What You Want to Do (A No F*cks Given Guide)
- The Year of Less: How I Stopped Shopping, Gave Away My Belongings, and Discovered Life is Worth More Than Anything You Can Buy in a Store
- I Am Here Now: A Creative Mindfulness Guide and Journal
- Do One Thing Every Day That Makes You Happy: A Journal (Do One Thing Every Day Journals)
- A Year of Positive Thinking: Daily Inspiration, Wisdom, and Courage
- Discover Yourself: Find Your Strengths and What Makes You Happy (who am I, know thyself, know me, how to feel great, discover your genius, self esteem, what makes us tick)
- The Minimalist Home: A Room-by-Room Guide to a Decluttered, Refocused Life (this book goes perfectly with my free printable KonMari checklist to help declutter your life).
- Living Happy And Loving It: 40 Steps To Discover And Unlock Your Inner Happiness For Life (Simple Living Book 4)
- Master Your Emotions: A Practical Guide to Overcome Negativity and Better Manage Your Feelings
- Happiness – Depends Upon Ourselves: 5 Easy Steps to Make You Happy
How To Be Happy When Life Treats You Crappy: 14 Unusual Secrets of the Super Happy (I am a big fan of the title).