Social media has always been a passion of mine.
I love being able to meet, connect, engage and share pieces of my life and story with people online.
You may not know this about me but I even majored in Mass Media throughout college.
My most favorite form of social media, especially over the past year or so, is Instagram. I love the way people are able to tell a story, share their families, pets, travels, fashions, products they love and more by simply posting a photo.
Instagram is constantly changing (both in positive and negative ways), but one of the best ways it has more recently changed is with the addition of Instagram Stories. In case you aren’t familiar with Instastories, you should check out my friend Lashawn from EVERYDAY EyeCANDY’s article about how to use them and how they can change the game.
Let me quickly break it down for you when it comes to the difference between Instagram and Instastories.
Instagram is the place where many people share their favorite and often filtered or edited photos.
Instastories on the other hand allow you to take a behind the scenes look at what people are doing. They are usually real life clips of people’s lives. I equate Instastories to pulling back the curtain and getting a peek into unfiltered moments, snapshots of a person’s life.
A newer feature of Instagram Stories that I want to talk to you about are the highlights. Highlights are permanent collections of Instastories that live on your Instagram profile. The highlights appear directly under your bio and above your Instagram feed and will play as a stand-alone story when someone taps on it. This feature is literally front and center on your Instagram profile.
In order to make your highlights stand out more, you can easily create Instastory highlight icons.
Before I tell you how to create Instastory highlight icons without leaving Instagram, take a look at my Instagram account here and see the ones I made.
How To Create Instastory Highlight Icons Without Leaving Instagram
- Open up a new Instastory and take a photo of anything.
- Use the marker icon (top, right, middle icon), pick a color and press on the screen for a couple of seconds so it fills with the color you chose.
- Select an emoji, icon or type a word and make sure to center it. (You make have to make it larger to fill the center)
- Save it to your story.
- Repeat for as many highlight icons as you would like to have displayed.
- Go back into your Instastories and search for the highlight icon stories you just created. On the bottom right will be a heart that says highlight. Click the heart to add that under your profile as an Instastory highlight icon. Repeat for as many Instastory highlights as you want.
You can also create your Instastory highlight icons outside of Instagram in something like PicMonkey or Canva, but this is an easy way to create them without having to leave Instagram.
Leave a comment below with your Instagram handle so we can connect and I can see your Instastory highlight icons once you create them.