Europe is not only one of the most incredible places to travel to in the world, but it can also seem overwhelming. In only the past year I have traveled to different parts of Europe 5 times. With so many countries you could visit it might be tough to figure out exactly what things to do in Europe.
Do you know there are actually lots of free things to do throughout so many of the countries within Europe? Yes, I said FREE.
To help make your first or next European vacation even more unforgettable, and also a bit more budget friendly, I have a list of over 200 free things to do in Europe to share with you. These ideas are especially perfect for a European long weekend getaway, or also when you want to explore on your own (without a tour guide/group).
What can you do in Europe?
When people ask what can you do in Europe, I honestly don’t even know where to start, besides making sure when you pack your carry on you have these international essentials packed,and also these free travel apps downloaded to your smartphone before your trip.
Europe is so full of incredible history, culture, food, beaches, monuments, architecture and so much more that it almost becomes addicting once you start traveling there.
There is such a variety of things to do in Europe which makes it the perfect travel destination for families as well as a wide range of ages plus interests.
If you easily sign up for my newsletter (at the bottom of this post), you will be instantly directed to a free travel resource page where you can download an incredible packing /travel checklist.
230 Free Things To Do In Europe
1. Free Things to do in Tirana, Albania
- Visit the Grand Park which is located in the city centre and has a large enclosed artificial lake.
- Take a tour to the Et`hem Bey Mosque, which was built in the 18th century and has unique paintings.
- The Bektashi World Center is free and a perfect place to learn about the history of Albania.
- Spille Beach is a great place to relax.
- The Cave of Pellumbas is a great spot if you love hiking
2. Free Things to do in Vienna, Austria
- Historic Center of Vienna which is rich in Austria’s history and all cultural attractions are within walking distance.
- The Rathausplatz is a great place to snap amazing photos.
- Visit Central Cemetery, which is Europe’s second largest cemetery, and the resting place to over 2.5 million people.
- Visit Stadtpark which was established in 1862.
- The Danube Canal (Donau Kanal) is perfect for an afternoon stroll.
3. Free Things to do in Brussels, Belgium
- Visit Grand Place, which is said to be the most beautiful medieval squares in Europe.
- Explore the gothic architecture of St. Michael and St. Gudula Cathedral.
- Take amazing pictures at Town Hall (Hotel de Ville), which has a unique architecture.
- Wander through the Les Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert, home to many cafes and shores.
- Take a stroll at the Parc du Cinquantenaire and see the Triumphal Arch, Exposition Halls, and the Bordiau Halls.
4. Free Things to do in Sofia, Bulgaria
- Take amazing pictures at Boyana waterfall.
- Explore and hike through Vitosha mountains.
- The St. Alexander Nevski Cathedral which was completed in 1912.
- The stunning Vitosha Boulevard is a great place for a stroll and shopping.
- Visit Saint Nikolas Russian Church (Tsurkva Sveta Nikolai)
5. Free Things to do in Paphos, Cyprus
- A great place for a family getaway is the Coral Bay
- Shop and walk through luxury stores at the Kings Avenue Mall
- Learn about marine life at the Lara Bay Turtle Conservation Station
- Take amazing photos while learning about how the brewery operates at the Aphrodite’s Rock Brewing Company
- A great place for a stroll is the Paphos Harbour and Port
6. Free Things to do in Copenhagen, Denmark
- Visit the Frederiksberg Have for a romantic stroll as you admired the manicured park.
- A great place for photos is at the Nyhavn.
- Visit this gorgeous church known as the Grundtvig Church (Grundtvigs Kirke)
- The Royal Library (Kongelige Bibliotek) is perfect to learn about the history of the city.
- Do not miss the Frederiks Kirke (Marmorkirken) which remained unfinished from 1770-1874.
7. Free Things to do in Helsinki, Finland
- Shop at the Hietalahti Market Square
- Check out the Sibelius Monument for cool pictures
- Learn the culture and history of the country at the National Library of Finland
- Get away from the busy city and visit the Hietaniemi Cemetery
- Explore the Museum of Worker Housing (Tyovaenasuntomuseo)
8. Free Things to do in Tbilisi, Georgia
- If you love art, visit Fotografia
- The Dancing Fountains are a great place to relax and watch the water with the family. Small kids will love it.
- Take pictures while you reminisce at the Monument to Characters of Movie Mimino
- Visit the Cathedral of St. George and enjoy the gorgeous design of the church.
- An afternoon walk is a perfect idea if you find yourself near the 9th Of April Park
9. Free Things to do in Athens, Greece
- Take a tour at a 19th century Greek Orthodox Church, Chapel of St. George
- Visit the Ioannidou Art Gallery and see gorgeous artwork from locals
- The Microlimano is perfect to walk and find local dishes.
- A great place for children is at the Hellenic Children’s Museum
- Visit Pireos Street at night for wild nightlife scene or during the day for unique pictures
10. Free Things to do in Akureyri, Iceland
- Shop at the Glerartorg Shopping Centre
- View gorgeous art at the Linda Ola – Studio & Gallery
- It is Christmas all year round at the Christmas Garden
- Visit the Hof Cultural and Conference Center to learn all about the region
- Get lost in the beautiful scents and scenery at the Arctic Botanical Gardens (Lystigardurinn)
11. Free Things to do in Rome, Italy
- Check out Church of St. Louis of the French, the church painted by the famous painter, Caravaggio
- If you get thirsty, take a sip at the Nasoni – Fontanelle Pubbliche.
- Learn the history of the Abbazia delle Tre Fontane.
- Take a walk at Via Francigena, which is a beautiful, ancient road
- Visit San Pietro in Vincoli and see the chains that bound St. Peter
One of my most favorite free things to do in Europe, specifically Rome, was to simply walk around and marvel at all of the incredible
12. Free Things to do in Vaduz, Liechtenstein
- Learn about the popular Postal Museum.
- Visit the Main Square for beautiful photos while taking a stroll
- Take a long walk or a jog at the Alte Rheinbrucke
- Next to the parliament lies the beautiful Cathedral of St. Florin
- Take pictures and see the statue of a famous artist at the Bas-Relief to Josef Rheinberger
13. Free Things to do in Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
- A themed playground to take children is at the Pirate Ship Playground
- Take the Pfaffenthal Lift and enjoy the view of the city
- Visit the Grund for the most unique views and pictures
- Pay your respects at the Luxembourg American Cemetery Memorial
- Explore the Le Chemin de la Corniche through beautiful rounds.
14. Free Things to do in the Island of Malta, Malta
- Visit the beautiful and peaceful Sanctuary of Our Lady of Mellieha
- Walk around the St. George’s Bay
- Explore the stunning Mellieha Parish Church
- Hike at the Xemxija Heritage Trail
- Have a swim at the Qawra Point Beach
15. Free Things to do in Monte-Carlo, Monaco
- Enjoy a swim at the Larvotto Beach, a man-made beach
- Shop til you drop at the Metropole Shopping Monte-Carlo
- Visit the spotlessly clean gardens at the Jardin du Casino
- Explore the architectural designs of the Chapelle Sainte Devote
- Love football? Visit the Champions Promenade
16. Free Things to do in Amsterdam, Netherlands
- The Vondelpark is great for picnics and walks
- Learn about the history and culture at the OBA Library of Amsterdam
- A great place for pictures is at the Herengracht
- The Red Light District is the oldest part of Amsterdam and is famous for its wild nightlife scene
- Shot at De 9 Straatjes for souvenirs
17. Free Things to do in Krakow, Poland
- Visit the Ghetto Heroes Square, an inspiring memorial
- The walks at the Planty park and quiet and scenic
- The exteriors are graced by statues that are magnificent at the Church of St. Peter and St. Paul
- A place worth visiting to learn about the culture is the Kazimierz The Former Jewish District
- A beautiful and peaceful place worth visiting is at the Sanctuary of Divine Mercy
18. Free Things to do in Bucharest, Romania
- Shop for souvenirs at the Baneasa Shopping City
- Take a peaceful and scenic stroll at the Herastrau Park
- Fancy a picnic? Visit the Cismigiu Gardens
- Explore the alleys and gorgeous building around in the Old Town
- Take amazing photos at the Carol Park (Liberty Park)
19. Free Things to do in City of San Marino, San Marino
- Get away from the city and explore nature at the Montale Tower
- Graced by beautiful scenery, the is a great place to visit San Marino Nature Park
- The Cava dei Balestrieri which is a war memorial is a must visit.
- The Mount Titan is filled with a long history and culture
- Visit the Centro Storico Di San Marino and explore the landscape and buildings.
20. Free Things to do in Bratislava, Slovakia
- Take photos while you relax at Napoleon’s Army Soldier Statue which is the most photographed in the city
- Visit and take photos with the man coming out of a hole statue at Cumil
- The Slavin is a great memorial to pay your respect to former soldiers.
- The beautiful blue church, Modry Kostol, is a quiet place to visit
- Take a stroll at the Bratislava Old Town.
21. Free Things to do in Madrid, Spain
- The water fountain at the Paseo del Prado is a great place and kids love it.
- The Plaza de Oriente is a good place to chill and read
- Get away from the city and relax at the Parque del Retiro
- Explore the Egyptian temple, Templo de Debod, that was transported to Madrid
- If you are up for a romantic picnic, visit the Parque de El Capricho
22. Free Things to do in Geneva, Switzerland
- Check out the Musee d’Art Et d’Histoire which was between 1903-1910
- Take amazing pictures at Cathedrale de St-Pierre
- Learn the culture and history of the country at the Museum of Natural History
- Visit the CERN is the world’s largest particle physics research centre
- Take a stroll at Lake Geneva.
23. Free Things to do in Kiev, Ukraine
- A must visit is at the Maidan Nezalezhnosti (Independence Square)
- The St. Michael’s Cathedrale is a gorgeous church that is worth visiting
- Shop on the shopping street Khreshchatyk
- The Andriyivski Uzviz is a great place to take awesome pictures
- The beloved Rodina Mat (Motherland) is a must visit
24. Free Things to do in Encamp, Andorra
- Hike at the Mirador del Roc del Quer while you enjoy the view
- Visit the small town and learn the culture at the Centro Historico
- Enjoy stunning views at the Sola Irrigation Canal Trail
- Take photos at the La Noblesse du Temps
- If you love architecture, go to the Casa de la Vall
25. Free Things to do in Minsk, Belarus
- The Monument to Fallen Jewish People on March 2, 1942, is great for a quick visit
- Relax at the Victory Park as you watch the water fountains
- Shop at the Minsky Komarovskiy Market
- Admire well-designed buildings at the Upper City
- The Island of Tears is a beautiful monument to their soldiers
26. Free Things to do in Sarajevo – Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Visit the Gazi Husrev-Beg Mosque which was built in the Ottoman period
- The gorgeous and peaceful fountain at Sebilj Brunnen is one to visit.
- Walk through the war wrecks at the Sarajevo Olympic Bobsleigh and Luge Track
- The Yellow Fortress is a great viewpoint of the city
- The Bascarsija is the cultural and historical centre in the city.
27. Free Things to do in Zagreb, Croatia
- The Zrinjevac is known as the most beautiful park in the city
- The Dolac Market is the perfect place to shop for food and flowers
- The art and atmosphere of the Mirogoj Cemetery is extraordinary
- Pick where to eat at the Tkalciceva where there are so many places to choose from
- Hike at the Upper Town (Gornji Grad)
28. Free Things to do in Prague, Czech Republic
- Visit this 21st century, 11 meters high statue named the Statue of Franz Kafka
- The Charles Bridge is a pedestrian bridge filled with artists
- Explore the culture and history of the Vysehrad National Cultural Monument
- Check out the history and culture of Prague at the Lesser Town
- Visit the StaromEstske namEsti which was built in the 12th century
29. Free Things to do in Tallinn, Estonia
- A great viewpoint and hiking place is at the Toompea Hill
- Check out the Viru Gates which were built in the 14th century
- Take a stroll while viewing the Tallinn Town Wall
- Built in the 14th to 15th century stands the Tallinn Old Town
- Named after a Russian hero, the Aleksander Nevski Katedraali is a great place to stop by.
30. Free Things to do in Paris, France
- Go window shopping at the Marché aux Puces de St-Ouen
- Learn about the culture at the Musée d’Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris
- Pay your respects at the Cimitière du Montparnasse
- Check amazing art at the Atelier Brancusi
- Take a stroll at the Belleville
31. Free Things to do in Berlin, Germany
- Pay your respects at the History filled Holocaust Memorial
- Get mesmerized by the architecture on Museum Island
- The Tiergarten is a great park to sit and relax
- Explore the city’s vibrant street art as you take a stroll
- Learn about the history of the country at the topography of Terror
32. Free Things to do in Budapest, Hungary
- Take photos at the Heroes Square
- Climb up the Castle Hill and view the stunning view of the city
- Enjoy delicious food while taking a stroll at the Great Market
- Kerepesi cemetery is a quiet place to pay your respects to famous people
- Take a book and go relax at Margaret’s Island
33. Free Things to do in Dublin, Republic of Ireland
- Admire the elegant Trinity College which is famous for its successful alumni
- Head to Phoenix park and go in search of deers
- Check the Chester Beatty Library and browse through the books
- North Bull Island is ideal for you if you enjoy bird watching
- Take a walk in nature at the National Botanical Garden
34. Free Things to do in Riga, Latvia
- Take a stroll in stunning Riga parks
- Check out the National Library of Latvia
- Visit the beautiful Orthodox Cathedral
- Explore the oldest and biggest museum in Latvia called the War Museum
- Use free wifi in so many places in the city. Take pictures and upload them for free to your social media.
35. Free Things to do in Vilnius, Lithuania
- Take a walk at the Bernardine Park
- Pay your respects at the Bernardine cemetery.
- Check out the design fairs and learn about art for free
- The Presidential palace is free to tour
- Take a hike at the hill of three crosses
36. Free Things to do in Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
- Take a walk up to Lake Matka
- Hike up at the Mountain of Vodno and enjoy the view from up
- Check out the famous Memorial House of Mother Teresa
- Visit the beautiful Warrior on a Horse sculpture
- Take a look at the gorgeous Fountain of the Mothers of Macedonia
37. Free Things to do in Chisinau, Moldova
- Take stunning photos at the Victory Memorial and Eternal Flame
- Visit the Jewish cemetery which is the largest in the country
- Enjoy cheap food and buy souvenirs at the Piata Centrala
- Visit the Stephen the Great Monument which is located at the state park
- Discover unique art at the Andrei Mudrea – Modern Art
38. Free Things to do in Podgorica, Montenegro
- Take a tour at the King’s Park
- Check out the elegant of the Saborni Hram Hristovog Vaskrsenja
- Visit the beautiful bridge and take stunning pictures at the Ribnica Bridge (Most na Ribnici)
- Enjoy a long stroll at the Delta City
- Take a dip in the Moraca River or the Waterfall Niagara
39. Free Things to do in Oslo, Norway
- Go window shopping at Season markets which are open at different times of the year
- Visit the Old Aker Church (Gamle Aker Kirke) which is said to be built in 1150
- Enjoy nature at the Akerselba River and the botanical gardens
- Check out the unique sculptures at the Ekebergparken which is home to 31 sculptures
- Learn about art at the Museum of Contemporary Art
40. Free Things to do in Lisbon, Portugal
- Visit the Feira da Ladra Thieves Market which is the
- Check out the Gulbenkian which has a museum, a garden, and an amphitheatre
- Visit Cristo Rei which is a 92 ft statue standing on a 269ft pedestal
- Listen to Portugal’s national music, Fado for free around the city performed by live bands
- Check out Lisbon’s park and have a lovely picnic or read a book.
41. Free Things to do in Moscow, Russia
- Enjoy some of the many free music gigs in the city
- Visit Moscow’s metro stations which are said to be the most beautiful in the world
- Explore the elegant Basil’s Cathedral which dates back to the 15th century
- Watch a play at the Institute of Modern Art
- Take a dance class for free at the Gorky park where you can join in any group
42. Free Things to do in Belgrade, Serbia
- Check out the Montmartre of Belgrade
- Visit the Republic Square and take magnificent pictures
- Visit Bajrakli mosque which is the only remaining mosque in Belgrade
- Take a stroll and met new people at the Academic park.
- Visit the Temple of St. Sava which is the largest Orthodox church in the world
43. Free Things to do in Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Learn the history of the area at the Ljubljana Castle
- Visit the Ljubljanica River and check out the pictures
- Go for a jog by joining a group or work out for free at the many outdoor gyms
- Explore Metelkova City which is so rich in culture
- At Congress Square, you can listen to free live music
44. Free Things to do in Stockholm, Sweden
- Learn all about design the Architecture & Design Center.
- Check out the longest art museum in the world at Stockholm’s subway system
- Take a stroll at Stockholm’s old town and enjoy the rich culture in the town
- Go for a jog at one of Sweden’s curated running trails
- Go for a picnic or relax with a book at Rosendals Trädgård.
45. Free Things to do in Ankara, Turkey
- Enjoy the architecture of the mausoleum of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
- Enjoy quiet time at the Kuğulu Park while feeding ducks
- Check out the impressive Kocatepe Mosque
- Take a stroll at the Botanical park and enjoy the manicured park
- Go window shopping while taking a walk at the Kızılay
46. Free Things to do in London, United Kingdom
- Learn about art and science at the Science Gallery London.
- Visit the Wimbledon Common and enjoy the nature of the park
- Check out the famous Abbey Road zebra which is featured in the Beatles album cover
- Check out the stunning lion sculptures at the Trafalgar Square.
- Get a view of the city by going up the Sky Garden which is 509 feet
Where you must go in Europe?
Now that you have this entire list of 230 free things to do in Europe, you are probably wondering where you must go first.
My top 4 suggestions are Rome, Paris (which can definitely be done on a budget), Amsterdam and Spain (both Barcelona and Madrid) and then keep on exploring from there.
With some cheap airfare tips and these secrets about what you need to know when traveling internationally, you should be ready to accomplish all the different, incredible and free things to do in Europe.