Do you need closet organization tips to maximize your time, especially in the morning and for travel? Learn the best ways to organize clothes in a closet.
One of the things that excited me when we bought our house a few years ago was the master bedroom closet. Coming from a really small house with a tiny closet that I had to share with my husband, this was a big deal to a fashion and shoes lover like myself.
I travel a lot and I’m a last-minute packer who only carries on, plus I am kind of a mess in the mornings. People often ask how I am able to get ready and pack so quickly, and a lot of it has to do with how I have my things organized.
Let me share the best way to organize clothes in a closet so you can have less stress when getting ready.
What is the best way to organize clothes?
There are lots of ways to organize your clothes. Here are the hacks and ideas that I’ve used the most.
- Hang up everything that you can. I need to tell you that I hang pretty much all of my clothes, except for my favorite jeans, workout clothes and undergarments. Click here to see my favorite non-slip hangers, especially because they don’t leave indentations in my tops.
- Keep all clothes out year-round. Another thing I should share is that I keep out pretty much all of my clothes year round. This makes it easy when I am traveling somewhere that might be different weather from my own. I also do this because I like to wear some of my tanks and tees under cardigans, blazers and jackets (like this denim one).
- Separate things by category. I started out with separating my clothes by type (sweaters, jackets, tanks, tees, long-sleeved tops, dresses, camo tops, chambray shirts, plaid button down shirts, pants/shorts/skirts).
- Organize categories by color. Next, I organized my clothes based upon color.
- Hang up clothes by type. Then I hung all the clothes in my closet by type and color. This makes it easy to find what I am looking for, especially in a hurry or when I have to pack my carry-on bag.
That tour of my closet hopefully gives you a better idea of what I am talking about.
4 Radical Clothes Organization Tips
Here are my favorite tips that help me keep my closet organized for good.
Tip 1: Keep An Area Free and Clear
I keep an area on the opposite side of the closet free for when I am picking out clothes, especially to pack for a trip, so I can hang what I want to take on that side for easier viewing.
Tip 2: Turn hangers for clothes you wear
After I wear something I turn the hanger the opposite way so I can see what I have NOT been wearing. This helps when I go through my closet every couple of months to figure out what to keep and what to give away or donate to a good cause.
Tip 3: Shop Your Closet
Before adding any new clothes to my closet, I always “shop my closet” first, which eliminates overbuying and having unnecessary clothes I may never wear.
Tip 4: Buy Smart Pieces
When I am searching for new pieces to add I will often order a Stitch Fix box so I can receive some unique pieces to mix and match with my existing ones.
How To Organize Shoes
Of all the things in your closet, your shoes are probably the most difficult to organize. I get it, I have a lot of shoes too! Here are my no-fail solutions for organizing shoes.
- Keep them in their original boxes. My shoes are all in their original boxes. Not only does that keep your shoes from getting dusty and dirty, it also saves space because you can stack them.
- Make the shoe box labels face out. I make sure the label on the shoeboxes face out so I know exactly what shoes are inside.
- Stack shoes by type. The shoes are kept in order stacked in rows by type (sandals, booties, heels and more), to make finding what you want super easy.
- Use a shoe rack. When it comes to my favorite flats, Tieks, I have a separate shoe rack where I leave out the ones I often wear (check out my favorite pair here). This makes it simple to grab a pair and go in a hurry.
- Display larger boots. Since my boots are bigger and their boxes would take up more space, I keep them on display along the back shelf of my closet.
Someday I will hopefully have the closet of my dreams (like the one below), but until then, I am making the best out of the space I have and helping you figure out the best way to organize clothes in a closet too.
Staple Wardrobe Pieces
Here are some ideas of staple pieces to add to your wardrobe:
- How To Style Jogger Pants For Women 4 Ways (my favorite jogger pants)
- What To Pack When Traveling For A Weekend
- Are Tieks Shoes Perfect For Travel?