Guess what another passion of mine is besides traveling? It’s reading. There aren’t many things better than getting wrapped up in a good story. The best travel books have the power to transport you across the world. Wherever I travel I love searching for bookstores and also coffee shops to visit. Last year during my budget friendly Paris trip I visited the original Shakespeare & Company. This bookstore ranks high on the list of places every book lover must visit, and it didn’t disappoint. I hope to inspire your wanderlust with these travel books to put on your reading list now.
What is your favorite genre of books?
Besides true crime and autobiographies, my favorite books are ones that inspire wanderlust.
In my opinion the best travel books aren’t travel guides, but instead stories that make you feel like you need to visit that destination.
When I was a younger I remember reading Around The World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne over and over again.
In case you don’t know the story it’s about a bet made that a rich gentleman can make it around the world in 80 days (before airplanes). That was the first to become one of the best travel books to spark my wanderlust.
Here Are 15 Best Travel Books To Read:
- Less (this book won a Pulitzer Prize)
- Tales of a Female Nomad: Living at Large in The World
- On The Road (a must read about friends and cross-country road trips)
- The Beach (a search for a hidden beach in Thailand)
- A Cook’s Tour: Global Adventures in Extreme Cuisine
- Shantaram (epic novel set in Bombay)
- Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide To The Art of Long-Term World Travel
- Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman’s Search For Everything Across India, Italy and Indonesia
- Atlas Obscura: An Explorer’s Guide To The World’s Hidden Wonders
- A Thousand Splendid Suns (the Kite Runner is by the same author and also fabulous)
- Crazy Rich Asians Trilogy Set
- Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail
- Dark Star Safari: Overland From Cairo To Cape Town
- The Kindness of Strangers: Penniless Across America
- The Alchemist
What places are on your travel bucket list?
In case you need help deciding or creating your list, I hope these books encourage you to want to explore the world.
Where will you getaway to first thanks to some inspiration from these best travel books?